Friday, 28 January 2011
I am not sure whether the rope was for keeping the warriors in,
or the customers out!
Stanley, Hong Kong, December 2010
I lost my Oh Dear List for January
The list is lost but this does not matter as I have already used most of the items on it at some time during the past few weeks and some of them have also appeared on other people's blogs, for example one turned up here:
I am sure that my list will turn up again somewhere, perhaps when I get my new computer working hard for me. Or it will reappear when I sort out the material on the ten USB sticks that I carry around with me everywhere. I am going to put all the information that they store into good order on my very sleek, 500GB Netbook Friend Christmas present. I will unearth the list somewhere soon, and it can then appear in February.
Is this another Oh Dear or not?
I just received a Google alert for a newspaper report about another £45,000 trip to the USA, for a spinal operation on a very young child:
I started this month, on January 6th to be precise, with a posting on the same operation, a dorsal spinal rhyzotomy, and received a lot of comments and emails from conductors. As I have yet to hear from Andrea Benyovszky, though, who I think has the most information on this subject, I will wait a bit longer before posting the information that I have gathered. Earlier posts on this topic, with reades comments, can be read here:
I still do not know whether the newspaper article above is another Oh Dear or not, but when I read this sentence, I did wonder:
"In the future, the operation may be available in the UK, subject to the NHS approving the procedure."
I wondered whether, before families fly off to America for this operation, the NHS makes the information available to them about why the operation has not yet been approved in the UK. From what I have read there do seem to be as many good reasons for not approving this operation as there are for approving it.
It is a very difficult decision to take, both for the NHS on whether to approve the operation and for a family as to whether or not to fly off to USA for it.
It is a decision that I would find very difficult to make. I have never been asked to advise a family who stand just before making this decision, but that does not mean the day will not come when I am asked. This is why I am trying to find out all that I can about it.
It would be nice to hear more reports from conductors who have worked with children pre- and post- the SDR op.
Funny title. It means that this is my 700th posting on the Conductor blog.
And don't forget that I have another blog running parallel to this one.
Susie Mallett's Conductive Upbringing and Lifestyle -